Locale Feedback

Welcome to our official feedback forum. Do you have an idea? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Turn off another situation

I would like the ability to use two nfc tags. One would turn on a situation, in my case activating a call filter and changing a volume profile. Then I want to be able to read another tag and have
    that tag simply turn the previously mentioned situation off.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Internet Call Settings for native SIP in Android 4.0

Support for the 'internet call settings' for android 4.0. I would like to use voip and receive incoming calls only when i'm connected with my wifi.
      Settings: Phone -> Settings -> Internet call settings -> Use Internet Calling / Accounts -> Receive incoming calls

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, Android doesn’t allow third party apps like Locale to control this setting.

Instead of having a global SIP settings manager, each SIP client manages its own settings. The built-in Phone app happens to be a SIP client, and this is a setting private to the Phone app.

• switching between built in profiles in Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi in ICS, you are able to add some profiles; Then you can select which one you want to use. What I suggest here is to be able to change the selected BUILT IN profile (set up in ICS settings) regarding the context.

Bye
        Nico

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

ICS doesn’t have built-in support for profiles.

This is either a feature of a custom ROM or a handset manufacturer customization that isn’t available in Google’s version of ICS. Because this isn’t a feature built-in to the base version of Android, we aren’t able to support it.

• Widgets and more options...

Widgets for each individual condition, and ability to move app to the sd card. Also add GPS as a modifiable setting. So if I have a situation with no condition like a silent mode condition for general use at any time I could set up a widget to activate that situation. If not something as specific a widget containing a list of all my situations would be nice. Also I think the ability to move the app to the SD card would be great as a lot of phones have limited on board memory. I have also noticed that there…

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a laundry list, not a specific feature request. By searching for these requests individually, you’ll find they all already exist.

Manual mode can be accomplished with the Button Plug-in: http://feedback.twofortyfouram.com/forums/5655-locale-feedback/suggestions/67878-manual-mode

It is not possible to toggle GPS. This is an Android limitation and is documented here http://feedback.twofortyfouram.com/forums/5655-locale-feedback/suggestions/997853-gps-settings-change-option

It is not possible to move Locale to the SD card due to limitations in Android. This is documented here: http://www.twofortyfouram.com/support.html

• Get/sync with "Tripit" flight details

If locale can get the flight details from Tripit then switch off or set to plane mode when we are supposed to be flying.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As a frequent flier who is usually carrying 10 to 15 different Android devices in my bag, it would be very useful to have them all enable and disable airplane mode automatically when actually. But the reality is that there’s no good way to provide this functionality.

Once airplane mode is enabled, Locale would have no Internet connectivity and therefore no way to detect changes to the flight schedule.

• add complexity option (for developer) to conditions

Let plug-in developer to tell locale how complex his plug-in is.
              Thanks to that locale can decide to not check more complex plug-in if the other less complex isn't active.
              E.g. when "Variables Plug-in" (which I think is the simplest plug-in) isn't active, don't check the bluetooth or wifi condition.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting idea that we’ve considered in the past but ultimately found that it won’t achieve the desired effect of improving battery life.

Instead of ranking conditions based on battery usage, Locale ranks them based on schedule. This is far simpler and more efficient.

Plug-ins shouldn’t be doing anything that consumes a lot of battery power anyway. Plug-ins are supposed to be detecting asynchronous state changes (or pre-scheduled state changes), rather than relying on polling. For example, connecting a Dock is an asynchronous event and a Calendar condition is a pre-scheduled change. Neither of these require polling, so neither of these should consume any battery power whatsoever. They happen once and they are done. So if plug-ins are implemented correctly, there’s no need to worry about battery usage.

• Provide a condition that detects when you are moving or driving

As of October 1, 2011 you have dramatically improved Locale with Instant Location. "Locale 2.0’s artificial intelligence analyzes current and historical location data to detect when you’re moving and predict where you’re going." It seems like the app already knows when the phone is moving, so adding a condition for such might be easy to add than it was before. With a "moving" or "driving" condition you could trigger a situation that applies settings for while in the car (like perhaps turning off the ringer so as not to be tempted to talk-n-drive, unless you have hands-free). In my case…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree this would be very cool. Unfortunately, modern phone hardware isn’t there yet.

Locale 2.0 detects motion in the context of predicting location arrival with historical data. Having historical location data and a target location introduce additional constraints to the problem, making it easier to solve efficiently.

To just detect motion (without the additional constraints of location) would still have a 10 minute delay. Based on our research, motion detection would need to be instant in order to really make users happy.

We’re always evaluating new ways to solve this problem, but its just not currently possible.

• Deploy the platform library project to maven central

android-maven-plugin allows android projects to be built using maven. To support this, it would be really nice to have a precompiled version of the support library as an artifact in maven central.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • AND and OR for combination of conditions (of same type)

It would be great to be able to decide whether to conditions of the same type, e.g. Battery, are combined with OR or with AND. I want to turn off my WiFi when the battery is <15% AND the cable is not connected. But right now I can only turn it off when battery is <15% OR cable is not connected. There are probably many more cases where this could be helpful.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Explicitly setting AND and OR is not something planned for Locale. Its just too complicated and there is often already a way to get the same thing without adding this as a feature.

For example: Create a “Low battery” situation that turns Wi-Fi off. Then create a “Plugged-in” situation that turns Wi-Fi on. By setting the “Plugged-in” situation as higher priority, this will achieve the exact same OR effect without adding explicit AND/OR operators.

• Fingerprint Scanner

I have the Motorola Atrix 4G which has a fingerprint scanner on it as a means of unlocking the phone. It would be nice to have different actions take place depending on whether I use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone or a pin/pattern. Specifically, it would be nice to use this feature to activate different "situations" within the Seal application; if unlocked with the fingerprint scanner then it uses my default settings; however, if unlocked using a pin/pattern then I could have a "situation" with increased security activate for when I want to let someone else use my…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a cool idea!

Unfortunately, the fingerprint scanner isn’t open for apps like Locale to interact with it. So I have to mark this as declined for the time being.

If Motorola (aka Motoogle/Goorola) opens up an API for the fingerprint scanner, we’ll look at this request again.

• 3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Locale cannot control other apps, unless those apps are modified to include a Locale plug-in. This is for security reasons, because apps shouldn’t be able to arbitrarily modify other apps. So you’d need to file a feature request with Google rather than with us.

In the end, this wouldn’t matter anyway. Gmail uses push to deliver messages, so there’s no polling anyway.

• Integrate with gingerbread profiles

Add a setting so that I'm at work, the profiles within gingerbread change with the condition. i.e. when I'm at work, the gingerbread profile matches the location (same with home and weekend)

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Android 2.3/Gingerbread does not have any sort of profiles functionality.

This is a Motoblur-specific piece of functionality that is only available on certain Motorola phones. We are not able to integrate with manufacturer-specific features, because the manufacturer’s don’t make those features accessible to app developers.

• widget toggle

Add ability to toggle third party widgets for different conditions. For example when plugged in toggle on droid firewall. Thanks.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Android won’t allow Locale to directly control other apps, as that would be a security risk. Instead, third party apps need to implement plug-ins for Locale in order for them to be controlled.

If you’re interested in seeing a Locale plug-in for a specific app or widget, please contact the developer of that app or widget.

• Portrait or landscape mode condition

I use locale to switch my android to dock mode based on charging (some docks do not automaticly set the phone to car mode) I would however prefer for it to know when I have it in my hands (portrait mode) or when it is in the dock (landscape mode)

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll first address the specific request of a Portrait/Landscape condition: we will not add this feature to Locale because it won’t work as expected. The first problem is that “portrait” and “landscape” are not well defined on Android and do not match user expectations. For example, the Motorola Charm is actually in landscape when the device is held vertically. This weird behavior is documented here http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-screen-turn-deserves-another.html The second problem is that Locale is a background app and therefore it should detect changes while the screen is off. But Android’s notion of portrait/landscape is only updated while the screen is turned on.

Let’s take a step back though and take a broader look at this request. If a car dock isn’t opening Android’s Car Mode, most likely it isn’t a real dock. A real Android dock tells Android what type of dock it is, and these are usually made by the…

• Order in which settings fire or setting dependencies

I have a SIP client that I use to connect to my work PBX. It needs WiFi to operate.

I have a Locale situation, the condition of which is the detection of my work WiFi SSID. Among other things, the settings associated with that condition turn on the WiFi subsystem and launch my SIP client.

The problem is that Locale always wants to launch the SIP client first, then turn on the WiFi (in that order). The SIP client doesn't react well to this treatment.

The online help linked-to inside Locale reads, in part, "The order in which settings are…

8 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

I understand the underlying desire for this sort of functionality (and there are other use cases as well like playing an alert sound before turning the volume off). Even if the order of settings could be controlled, it would not actually be useful. The problem is that various settings are triggered asynchronously in the background and have inconsistently defined completion points.

Take your example: if Locale turns Wi-Fi on and then triggers the SIP app, the SIP app won’t work. Wi-Fi usually takes ~5 seconds to turn on. Then it takes several more seconds to associate and actually switch networking over to Wi-Fi. During that time the SIP client has already tried to connect and failed because Wi-Fi wasn’t ready yet.

Instead, create 2 situations: one situation to turn Wi-Fi on based on Location. Then create a separate situation that uses the Wi-Fi Connection Plug-in to trigger the SIP client…

• user-initiated (private key) encrypted backups for both SD and ABS assuring data privacy for user

user-initiated (private key) encrypted backups for both SD and Android Backup Service assuring data is accessible only by the user with the correct key.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Locale supports automatic backup and restore to Google’s backup service, as well as manual backups as described here http://feedback.twofortyfouram.com/forums/5655-locale-feedback/suggestions/74784-backup-settings

To encrypt Locale’s backup, I would recommend creating a manual backup and then encrypting the file manually using the encryption tool of choice.

We won’t add encryption directly to Locale because it just doesn’t make sense to add that complexity into the app.

• Disable/Enable Background Data

Change 'Background Data' setting in Accounts&Sync

Use case 1: Disable 'Background Data' to save battery power when on low battery
                                    Use case 2: Disable 'Background Data' to minimise data use; when roaming / At work / At night

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • blackberry

duplicate blackberry's holster "locale"

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

This will require hardware and software changes to Android devices, as Android doesn’t provide any support for a “holster” mode. The closest thing available today is the desk/car dock accessories available for certain Android devices.

• Latitude location reminder.

Hi, it would be very usefull to have a plug-in monitoring "latitude location" of my friends. For example condition activated, when selected friend is nearby me...

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, the Latitude API doesn’t allow apps to retrieve the locations of Latitude friends. It merely allows retrieval of your own location (which Locale already has) and your Latitude location history.

• Test Locale configuration

It would be great to be able to simulate triggers to see how Locale works. Some complicated setups may be difficult to setup that are based on time, location etc. However, the simulation screen would allow users to simulate triggers. Condition's settings do not need to be activated, they can simply be simulated as well.

9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m not sure if I completely understand this request, however here’s my thoughts based on my guess as to what this request is for:

If each condition could be forced into being satisfied/unsatisfied in some sort of testing mode, how does that help? Testing such binary changes could just as easily be simulated using the Battery condition for detecting plugged-in versus unplugged.

If you’re asking for a way to fully simulate inputs to various conditions, (e.g. simulate moving to a different location, simulate a phone call coming in), such test inputs are available to developers as part of the Android development tools.

← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Locale Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base