Locale Feedback

Welcome to our official feedback forum. Do you have an idea? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Driving condition

This would allow me to automatically turn bluetooth on on my phone when I am driving to enable me to use my bluetooth adaptor.

This could be based on average speed being above 5 mph for example.

427 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Actually, I think there’s a better way to organize this:

I’m marking this feature request as complete, as there are two ways currently to detect when the phone is in a car: a car dock condition or a Bluetooth condition, both of which are available now as plug-ins on the Android Market.

In order to have the votes correctly tallied, created a new request for a speed condition. If you want a speed condition, vote here:

http://feedback.twofortyfouram.com/forums/5655-locale-feedback/suggestions/884809-speed-condition

• Improve Location Detection (Wi-Fi "Condition")

This request originally called for a true "Wi-Fi" Condition where users could select specific Wi-Fi access points based on MAC address or SSID. What's the point of doing this? Most users really just want an accurate/low-power way to detect location.

With recent improvements to the location engine in Locale, the need for such a "Wi-Fi Condition" is almost obsoleted. Rather than provide 2 completely different ways of determining location--the maps-based UI and a Wi-Fi access point picker--we'd rather provide a single location detection system that "just works." This makes Locale a better app all-around (and actually improves battery life).

So,…

299 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        62 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Wi-Fi location training is now available as a feature in Locale 1.2. It can be found under the Menu of the Location condition.

We strongly discourage the use of third party location conditions or Wi-Fi conditions. These are less accurate and require more battery power. Instead, users should use the built-in Location condition and use Wi-Fi training if necessary.

• Configurable Location Polling/Refresh/Update Frequency

Increase / manually set location polling, either in the settings or between a set of time.

This is very handy for alarms based on location, especially when snoozing on the train home.

259 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          32 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE:

Locale 1.4 includes significant improvements to the location detection system, reducing time to detect location changes by 20% while also improving battery usage by up to 50%.

The original goal of this request—reducing the delay of detecting location changes—has been met as Locale 1.4 detects location changes within an average of 4 minutes. We are therefore marking this request as completed.

Although this request is being marked as completed, we have ongoing research and development to keep improving the speed and efficiency of the location detection system further :).

(Original response)

By design, Locale has no user-configurable options. The goal is that Locale should “just work” without requiring users to fiddle with various options that could negatively impact the operation of the app. For example, asking Locale to check location every minute could cause the battery to drain within 2 hours at which point you might miss the…

• Backup settings.

Add a function to back everything up via either SD card or the web.

195 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

AUTOMATIC BACKUP/RESTORE
            Locale has automatic backup and restore using the cloud-based backup mechanism in Android 2.2 or later. There are no configuration options within Locale—it just works!

To use this feature, simply make sure that backup/restore is enabled by going to the Android Settings and verifying that Backup and Restore is enabled. (This option might be in a different place on different devices. With Android 2.2, it can be found under Android settings → Privacy. With Android 4.0, it can be found under Android settings → Backup & reset). Whenever Locale is uninstalled and reinstalled, the device is factory reset, or you upgrade to a new device, your Locale situations will be automatically restored. If there are no options for backup and restore under the Android Settings, then the device does not support automatic backup and restore.

Since backups are tried to a Google account, be sure to…

• Manual Mode

Allow situations to be triggered manually.

For this to work properly, we'd either have to set a timeout (e.g. manual mode only stays active for 1 hour) or disable the background service altogether. Otherwise Locale can't guarantee that the manually triggered situation stays active if another situation is triggered.

144 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              33 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Media Volume Setting

A new setting to provide control of media volume

138 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • multiple time conditions

There should be a way to add multiple time conditions to a setting. I work in retail, and in a 2 week period, I work a different time every single day. GPS location just won't work for my situation either, and I'm thinking this will be a great solution to others, rather than creating a lot of different settings for each time condition

125 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • SMS condition

A on sms condition to allow an event when a string is found in an sms. i have seen this in other apps, but only to toggle their application.

condition <sms string: turn on ringer> <event: ringvolume 100>
                  would be a example to turn on max ringtone volume if the phone is misplaced.

122 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 3G Setting

Add support to turn the 3G on and off

Android has security restrictions in place that prevent apps like Locale from toggling 3G. (No other apps on the Market can do this either. They just cheat by opening up the Android 3G settings screen and having you tap the checkbox yourself). We'll continue to evaluate this feature as Google updates Android, but after speaking with Google is appears unlikely that this will ever be possible.

Before you disable 3G on your own, you should know that 3G does have many advantages over 2G. Obviously 3G provides faster mobile Internet. But…

103 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3G is a radio technology used for both voice and data. In other words, 3G is NOT just about the Internet. In fact, phone calls are also placed over 3G and usually there is better call quality and reliability over 3G. (Quality obviously varies based on the cell towers in the area). The 3G toggle in the Android settings of GSM phones will cause the phone to fall back to 2G for both voice and data.

Many users confuse “3G” with mobile Internet. They think disabling 3G prevents their phone from using the Internet. For users looking to disable mobile Internet on their phones, please search for “APNDroid” on the Android Market which offers a plug-in for Locale.

There is also another plug-in called the “Locale Mobile Data Plugin” which contains a condition for detecting Internet usage as well as a setting for disabling mobile Internet over the cell network.

• orientation condition

phone orientation as condition.

upside down at work, it's silent
                      face up at work vibe only

95 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Motorola Droid dock condition

The Motorola Droid A855 has two dock accessories (desktop dock and car mount) which enable different home screens/modes. The request is to have a Locale condition when the dock is detected.

90 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now supported with the combination of Locale 1.0 and the “Locale Dock Plug-in”, both of which are available on the Android Market in countries that support paid apps.

Locale 1.0 supports plug-in conditions, so many more exciting features are coming soon :)

• Open App Setting

It would be great if Locale could open up another Android application as a setting.

For example, Locale could to open a weather application at a certain time each morning.

90 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Locale Shortcut Plug-in 1.0 was released in the Android Market, implementing this feature request. With the Shortcut Plug-in, it is easy to launch another Android application automatically.

Note: Due to the limited availability of the Android Market, this plug-in may not be available in all regions.

For those interested in specifics, new plug-in can launch any “android.intent.action.MAIN” Activity automatically (including all apps that appear on the Home screen).

• Don't turn off Bluetooth while in use

Happened yesterday: I was calling my girlfriend over my bluetooth headset and while I was speaking, the time condition switched bluetooth off.

Well, the call continued, but she wondered what I was doing

83 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Security, Keyguard, Lock Screen Setting

disable pattern unlock when i'm at home, or (hopefully) driving or (hopefully) on wall power

81 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

A 3rd party developer has created a plug-in called “Locale Lockscreen Plug-in” that implements this feature request.

This plug-in can be found by choosing the “Get Plug-ins” menu item within Locale.

• add a "headphones plugged in" condition

I currently have no way of automatically adjusting the volume of my ringer/notifications/calls when I plug or unplug my headphones - this would help me not be deafened by an unexpected call.
                                Additionally, whether or not I'm plugged in and listening to music seems like a good general situation determinant.

79 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now supported with the combination of Locale 1.0 and the “Locale Headphones Plug-in”, both of which are available on the Android Market in countries that support paid apps.

Locale 1.0 supports plug-in conditions, so many more exciting features are coming soon :)

A plug-in to control media volume will be released in the near future :).

• Google Talk Status / sign-in

It would be really useful to be able to use Locale to control my Google Talk status and/or sign-in and sign-out. For example, if Locale could sign me in at 8am and sign me out at 10pm. Additionally, the ability to set status and status message would be great too, so if I entered my "Work" area, Locale could set my status as Busy and with the status message of "working hard!"

71 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Active app detection

Change setting when specific app is running in the foreground. Would allow turning on GPS only when you run maps or maybe adjust volume and brightness on a game.

68 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • SMS Auto Responder

When an SMS is received while in a Situation, allow an pre-written user response. ie - SMS received from bob while in Calculus respond with: "Automated Message: I'm in class. Will reply when I get out."

66 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Battery Below and Unplugged

I think if you choose batter below it should automatically assume you mean "and unplugged." If the Android is plugged in, you don't really care if it's battery is low...

62 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As Chris said, this can be accomplished using the “Locale Power Power Source Plugin.” Simply add a Battery condition to detect the battery level, and a Power Source condition to detect being unplugged. Please note that this plug-in requires Android 2.0 or later.

• 61 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            59 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Locale Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base