Locale Feedback

Welcome to our official feedback forum. Do you have an idea? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Integrate with Scenes in HTC Sense

The HTC Hero (and probably all subsequent HTC Android devices) allows the user to configure different desktops (scenes), with different widgets, shortcuts, backgrounds etc.

For example, a user can have 'Work', 'Home' and 'Out' scenes, and then switch between them for different activities, providing useful access for the given activity.

If locale could detect/control these scenes, it would enable both automatic switching of scenes based on rules, and different notification/network/etc profiles for each scene selected.

249 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Scenes in HTC Sense is a private API, which means that third party apps like Locale cannot access it.

HTC has launched a new developer API for Sense UI devices at http://www.htcdev.com/

Unfortunately, these APIs are extremely limited and do not allow developers access to more advanced features such as Scenes.

• 41 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

After discussing this with Google at Google IO, it appears this will not be possible for the foreseeable future due to the security restrictions in Android. By design, Android won’t allow apps like Locale to change the Live Wallpaper. Apps can launch the wallpaper picker, but they cannot set the wallpaper outside of the picker, which is what Locale needs.

If Google changes this in a future Android update, I’ll re-open this request. But for the time being there’s no reason to keep this open since it is currently impossible.

• Silent profile upon activation of the alarm clock

Every evening I manually turn on my alarm clock and put my phone in a silent mode. In the morning I wake up with the alarm clock and switch of the silent profile. I would be great if locale would be able to use the activation of the alarm clock as a condition so that an action like silencing the phone could be automated!

37 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, apps like Locale cannot use the Alarm Clock as a condition. There are two problems: 1. The Alarm Clock doesn’t provide any sort of API access to apps like Locale. 2. The Alarm Clock isn’t guaranteed to be present on all Android handsets, especially for heavily customized phones with HTC Sense or Motoblur.

The only sensible way this could possibly be implemented would be for someone to create their own standalone alarm clock application on the Android Market, which also contained a plug-in condition for Locale. That way anyone could install the alarm clock app and it would have the necessary programatic access for Locale.

Since we aren’t an alarm clock company, this isn’t something two forty four a.m. will be creating. But that doesn’t mean a third party developer won’t!

• Get rid of the continuous notification in Locale 1.0

On the whole I'm liking 1.0, and I'm happy to pay for it as it's an excellent app.

However.

The continuous notification is REALLY annoying. The entire raison d'etre for Locale is that it runs silently and invisible in background without the user being aware of the clever stuff it's doing.

There is absolutely no technical reason to have the notification constantly displayed (as the beta proved), and it's cluttering up my screen/notification bar. You have to get rid of it, or provide the option for the notification to be disabled. This in itself is potentially enough for me to…

33 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In general, Locale is required to display an ongoing notification in order to run reliably. Background apps displaying a notification are given higher priority, such that they are killed last when Android runs low on memory. A notification has no impact on performance, only on reliability. If Locale is killed, it will no longer work. In fact, Android 2.3 is very aggressive about killing background apps running for more than a few minutes without displaying a notification. In order to ensure that Locale runs reliably, it must display an ongoing notification. Locale simply cannot offer an option that makes the app unreliable.

• Kill app setting

If the phone has something unknown running in the background hogging battery this could prevent having a completely dead phone much earlier than expected.
            It probably shouldn't shut down if the screen is on or the user is in the middle of call, etc...

32 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Android treats memory differently than a desktop computer. When leaving an app, it is paused rather than killed, so that so that returning to it later is faster. If Android needs more memory, it will automatically close apps that have been paused but have not been used recently. Because Android manages memory automatically, “task killer” apps are not necessary. Google has blocked “task killer” apps for Android 2.2 and later.

While it is not possible to “kill” apps on Android, the Shortcut plug-in can be used to simulate this behavior by bringing the Android Home screen to the foreground. To do this, simply create a new Shortcut setting, choose Menu → Filter → All. Pick the “Launcher” app. When the setting is fired, it will bring the Home screen to the foreground, pausing whatever application was previously on the screen.

• return to previous setting instead of default

How about an option to save current state before running locae event, then returning to whatever that previous state was?

31 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This was considered very early in the design of Locale, although was rejected because of the unnecessary complexity it entails.

A setting in Locale is a simple action that can be anything. Like sending an SMS message, posting a Tweet, or changing the ringer volume. Reverting to previous settings is not always possible. Consider the SMS setting: how do you unsend an SMS message?

If only certain settings “revert,” that makes it impossible for users to develop a mental model of a setting, because all settings no longer follow a single, consistent model. With Defaults, Locale always behaves in a predictable fashion.

• Sell Locale outside the Android Market

It would be nice if the very cool program Locale would be published on SlideME.org and AndAppStore.com, too. So it is not only available through Android Market.
                The idea to this came after reading about the cyanogenmod:
                http://www.cyanogenmod.com/home/the-current-state

I hope you are able and willing to publish the fine program Locale on these two Content Marketplaces as well.

29 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Locale is exclusively available through the Android Market, and can be found here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.twofortyfouram.locale

We did sell Locale via our own website between mid-2010 and early-2011, in order to support users without access to the Android Market. Since then, the Android Market has become available in many more countries so it is no longer necessary for us to sell Locale directly through our website.

• latitude

I'd like to see Locale have the option to post an update to Google Latitude similar to the post to Twitter function.

26 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Situation Groups

Allow a situation to be composed of groups of other situations

21 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As I understand it, the only reason for this request is really for reusing a condition or setting across multiple situations. Given that most conditions or settings are very easy to set up individually, the value gained by re-use seems low unless the number of situations is on the order of 10 or more.

We experimented with reusable Locations in older versions of Locale, and found the UI to be exceedingly complex and the benefits of reuse didn’t offset the UI complexity required.

• Add ability to create conditions within conditions

For example, I might want only to turn on wifi when plugged in at home. I don't want to create two different conditions "At Home" and "at Home and Plugged in." I should have an "At home condition" with a sub rule "Plugged in"

17 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The underlying goal is to have multiple “At Home” situations with additional conditions. Even though you don’t want to do it, the right way to accomplish this is through the creation of multiple situations.

As requested, this feature will not be implemented because it will add significant complexity to the UI.

• Wildcard/Group Support in Contact Condition

Makes it easier to select all contacts. Coupled with the other idea for NOT on conditions, this makes it possible to select for when someone NOT in your address book is calling.

14 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Overall, Android has very limited support for Contact groups. As newer versions of Android and hundreds of different device models have been released over the past two years, Contact groups have stopped working reliably on many different Android devices. No amount of development on our part will fix the problem—it is fundamentally broken in Android.

Locale 2.0 supports selecting multiple individual contacts, instead of selecting contact groups. To select multiple contacts, simply long press on the Add Condition button in the Edit Situation screen. This will allow adding multiple conditions of the same type (i.e. multiple contact conditions), which are implicitly treated as OR.

• Restore ability to make small location radius

Previous versions of Local allowed the creation of small radii locations. I used to be able to define a 30 ft radius just the size of my house.

Now Locale Support tells me the smallest accuracy is 100 meters and the previous size was a "BUG". This makes no sense when GPS can be accurate up to 5 feet! I don't want to have the same settings when I'm walking the neighborhood or visiting any of my 35 neighbors inside the 100 meter circle.

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great idea and was originally supported by early prototypes of Locale. This was subsequently removed because limitations in current location and battery technology.

Locale simply cannot detect locations smaller than 100 meters reliably.

For small area location detection, consider voting for the Bluetooth Condition. Bluetooth has very short range, which should satisfy this request:

http://feedback.twofortyfouram.com/pages/5655-locale-feedback/suggestions/71510-bluetooth-condition?ref=title

• add the ability to edit locations from a web browser

When editing a bunch of locations it gets really tough to work on the phone's screen it's self, especially if your planning locations you will be at that are miles away. I would really love the ability to be able to edit my locations from an online portal or some other form of web-based application.

11 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While an interesting idea that might save some time during data entry, this isn’t feasible. For consistency’s sake, it doesn’t make sense to only allow locations to be created this way. A web-based user interface would need to be created for every condition and setting type. With plug-in conditions and settings that would be very difficult to manage. Locale is a mobile app, and I think we should keep it that way :).

I believe the underlying issue here is that the Locale interface isn’t as efficient as you would like it to be? So if anyone has other ideas to improve the efficiency of the interface on the phone, please let us know.

From within Locale, you can also search for locations by name/address, which is likely what one would do from within a web browser anyway. So how much more efficient would a web-based interface really be?

• use google contacts for locations

Use the geocoded addresses from google contacts plus a custom field for radius or polygon coordinates for locations. This way we don't have to maintain yet another list of locations (contacts, RTM, locale, etc). Lead the way on leveraging existing data stores. This would also make it easier to re-support multiple geographies for each location.

11 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

While an interesting idea, our studies have found the location data in contact lists is not very useful. Most people don’t even have addresses in their contact list. And for those addresses that are in the contact list, most of the “locations” in your address book aren’t really going to be places you’d want the ringer to be silent (e.g. who puts the movie theater or library in their address book?)

The best use case I could see for this would be a consultant who travels to a number of different clients, and would like his ringer to turn off at each of those client locations. Having done that type of work in the past, I could see such a feature useful. I just don’t think currently there are enough people who would need this sort of functionality.

Is there any important use case that’s been missed?

• General contact conditions (Email, SMS, Gtalk, Twitter, etc)

I would really love to have conditions that depend on a contact and method of communication.

Especially now that google talk supports SMS via email, I'd like to be able to change notification based on contact.

But, in general, I'd like to control how I am notified by contact and method. For instance, I'd love to have:

spouse -> phone, sms, gtalk, email, all times
                                friend -> phone, 7am - 7pm
                                coworkers -> phone, email, 9am - 5pm

I realize that this could certainly be difficult, but I also think it is the kind of granularity that people crave. Of…

11 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Locale supports incoming phone calls, while there are plug-ins that support incoming SMS. The Skim Internet plug-in might be useful for detecting Twitter messages.

Supporting other methods of contact, such as email, just aren’t possible. The built-in Android email program has no way of notifying other apps than an email has arrived.

The alternative would be to have Locale poll these services, in addition to the native apps. Locale isn’t an email client, so it doesn’t make sense for us to implement our own POP and IMAP clients just to determine if a new message has arrived.

Unfortunately, Android just doesn’t currently have the support necessary for this at this time.

• Test Locale configuration

It would be great to be able to simulate triggers to see how Locale works. Some complicated setups may be difficult to setup that are based on time, location etc. However, the simulation screen would allow users to simulate triggers. Condition's settings do not need to be activated, they can simply be simulated as well.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not sure if I completely understand this request, however here’s my thoughts based on my guess as to what this request is for:

If each condition could be forced into being satisfied/unsatisfied in some sort of testing mode, how does that help? Testing such binary changes could just as easily be simulated using the Battery condition for detecting plugged-in versus unplugged.

If you’re asking for a way to fully simulate inputs to various conditions, (e.g. simulate moving to a different location, simulate a phone call coming in), such test inputs are available to developers as part of the Android development tools.

• Transfer settings from beta to 1.0

This is a must-have feature if I am to consider upgrading to 1.0. Since the app so suddenly went from free to paid-only, at least make it easy for me to upgrade!

9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0.695 beta and 1.0 are different apps, and can therefore be installed simultaneously. This is by design to help with the transition from beta to 1.0.

While it would be great to offer importing, direct import of data from beta into 1.0 isn’t supported. The storage format is entirely different and completely incompatible.

• create an Ambient Light level detecting condition

A condition that can check the ambient light level of the phone's surroundings using the camera.

The functionality already exists on the Android Market in the Ambient Light Level application which changes the brightness of the screen based on the brightness of your surrounding. And it works well.

Potential uses would be that it knows when you're in bed at night or when the phone is in your pocket.

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Given that this is a hack for specific devices that lack an ambient lighting sensor (e.g. G1, Tattoo, and a few others), this feature doesn’t make sense at this time.

The good news is that Locale 1.0 is compatible with phones that have an ambient lighting sensor built in (such as the Droid, Nexus One, etc.)

There is also the possibility that a 3rd party developer will create this feature as a plug-in condition for Locale 1.0.

• Add Cell-id / LAC as a condition

To help with accuracy when not using GPS or wifi how about using the Cell tower id and LAC. This would NOT need to be converted to lat/lon it's simply the cell-id/LAC being used that would trigger a location. Multiple cell-id/LACs should be allowed per location.

8 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          declined  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • If : Connected to USB then Mount device

Locale would allow to set behaviours according to the state of USB. This would be particularly useful to auto-mount the device but also set other kind of interactions with the computer.

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request is not possible, because Android has security restrictions in place that prevent apps from mounting the internal storage on a connected computer.

As Chris says though, the USB condition already exists :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Locale Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base