I suggest you ...

latitude

I'd like to see Locale have the option to post an update to Google Latitude similar to the post to Twitter function.

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To refresh everyone's memory, I recommend revisiting a relevant conversation on the developer forums, which can be found here https://locale.fogbugz.com/default.asp?locale-developers.2.105.11

The short version: Locale cannot share location data with plug-ins because the data requested isn't available even to Locale. Locale operates on the notion of entering and exiting particular locations, rather than tracking your exact location all day long. This is a fundamental and key distinction between the way Locale operates and the way an app like Google Maps operates.

Google's latitude APIs are still in their infancy, and were only just opened up as part of the announcements at Google IO in May 2010. We are however looking at ways of implementing the latitude feature request, although we do not yet have any announcements to make at this time.

• skylarsutton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's the problem you're going to have with this request: Locale has been engineered to track your location with a very accurate and complex algorithm which uses virtually no power. The Locale developers refuse to allow plugins access to that "current location" so all plugins are blind to the device's location. (Theoretically the plugin could re-acquire your location but that would be a high-power-use operation and be counterproductive.)

All that said, the point I'm driving at is this: If you want to automatically post your current location... it will never happen. Locale won't let plugins see your location, therefore plugins can't be created to handle this task for you.

If, on the other hand, you're ok with specifying the location to post for each scenario - a plugin could be created that just trusts whatever you tell it to post.

I've already tried (multiple times) to convince the Locale folks that plugins need access to location data to service these types of end user requests... but as you can guess they dismissed my feedback.

• i208khonsu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disapointing that this hasn't received more attention. Was just looking for this after installing a WiFi SSID condition. As with Latitude when in doors google must triangulate your location which could be miles away. Would be nice to have Locale statically set my Latitude location by known SSIDs.

• joey beckman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like this as well. I would like to adjust the privacy setting based on my location. Latitude doesn't have this sort of dynamic functionality. It would be nice to, say, show my location only when at work, home, school, etc. If I wasn't at those places, it would default to show only city name. Or I could set it up to turn on when at my local bar, and otherwise hide location.

• Matthew J Stevens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Latitude PAI isn't available but I think this fits with Facebook and Gtalk status updates. Launch application could accomplish this if it could be set to launch and close a minute later.

Feedback and Knowledge Base