I suggest you ...

Different icons for location notification

I I could select say a different coloured marker for each notification, and these would show up on the nitification bar, then I would instantly see what situation I am in without having to drag the notification list.

256 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    telefleuries shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Saulius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let choose colour for default icon (maybe, plus small symbol next to it representing different situations?). This would be great and easy to see from lock screen if conditions changed.

• d-h commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to assign condition-based notification icon colors. As to the question of which condition's color to use: the highest priority.

• Jetpac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. The notification has to be there.. So use it well.

White (as is current) if default profile is active
        Muted Colour assigned (red, blue, green, purple) either automatically to each different profile or user selectable colour. (by muted i mean faded so as not to massively stand out)

It would be great to look at the screnn:

White oh im in defaults
        Red im definitely at work, im certain the location detection is on, no need to worry about that ringtone!

• Ozan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I want to see different coloured Profil icons on my status bar. If u can this, costumers need no more different Backgrounds for each Profile and it saves Memory..

• Johan E. Johansson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest this: if Locale is run (regardless of situation or condition) natively, let it be white. But if a plug-in is utilized, let the icon shift to the plug-in icon. Most plug-ins have descriptive icons; such as the calendar plug-in being a calendar icon, the synch plug-in being a synch-symbol etc.

Seeing as it's plug-ins, this should be relatively easy to implement.

• Daren Chapin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came to this forum just to post this exact idea.

I'd like it for the following situation: I use a generic "Meeting" setting for meetings at work, movies, etc which puts the phone on vibrate and changes my GTalk setting to Busy/"In Meeting". The problem is that I often forget to un-set it at the end of the meeting, and then e.g. nobody chats with me for hours.

I've kludged this by using the wallpaper feature to choose a garish red wallpaper, to remind me that I need to change things back, but I'd prefer something a bit more subtle.

• john.ludlow.uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting idea, though how would it determine the colour / icon to use when more than one situation is active? "topmost wins" is one method, but the highest one in the list isn't necessarily the most important.

• yvolk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this idea with my last vote :-) but I don't think it's easy to implement to be of real use (I mean, different people like different icons...)
        But I will give you an alternative idea on how to easily know, in which situation you are now (I use this approach myself):
        Set different Wallpapers for different situations! (There is such "Wallpaper" settings plugin...)
        This way you may have any wallpaper you like for each situation and make it easily remembered.
        E.g. I've set photo of my flat for the "At home" situation...

• marnoldster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Carter: "May kill" is different to "will kill." Tracking my RAM usage for a while now I find it highly unlikely my HTC Dream would kill locale. It's a risk I'd be willing to take to get rid of the icon -- alas I have no option. A setting, with subsequent warning, might be the best compromise, don't you think?

• Tinks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps a notification appearing when changing situations, but once I acknowledge it, it goes away out of the notification bar. The icon in my notification bar makes me crazy, and I would really like find a way to get rid of it.

• gordon byers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Different icons would be great, a small icon library included in locale where you could assign a different icon to each of your situations would be great.
        Off the top of my head i'd like icons to represent these situations Home, Work, Night, Car & Battery low.

• farble1670 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'd rather not see the icon at all. the notification bar is extremely valuable screen real estate. the idea that every app that runs periodically adds an icon here doesn't scale. the space there would be quickly used up.

locale is "active" all the time or it doesn't work. i don't need an icon telling me this.

• Graham Macleod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice idea, it's important that the default notification icon shouldn't be red. Red is universally used to grab attention and signifies that some kind of action is required - by default, that's not the case. Keep the notification and the icon, but make it grey by default (unless there's some reason that you want my attention).

• Umberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea, but what if more then one condition is applied at the same time?

• Narflar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea, I want to be able to glance at the phone to see which situation is active.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And no notification icon for default? Or as an option in general.

Feedback and Knowledge Base