Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    tomatosquidtomatosquid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  CarterAdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) responded  · 

As I understand it, the only reason for this request is really for reusing a condition or setting across multiple situations. Given that most conditions or settings are very easy to set up individually, the value gained by re-use seems low unless the number of situations is on the order of 10 or more.

We experimented with reusable Locations in older versions of Locale, and found the UI to be exceedingly complex and the benefits of reuse didn’t offset the UI complexity required.

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • moldymoldy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to define the logic in our conditions.

In my case, I've set up a situation as following:

Conditions:
        Battery: Plugged In

Settings:
        Astrid Tag Alert (items tagged 'home')

This is the only situation I have configured with a location. The way I want it to operate is IF Battery is Plugged In AND Location is <home address> DO Astrid Tag Alert <home>; DONE.

It is checking for location regardless of the first condition and is a waste of battery over the course of the day.

• SturmehSturmeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes but I think the problem here is to use locale for two separate purposes such as power and location, you need to make one power for each location, unless of course the settings being changed were independent of the location.

But lets just say I want a generally low brightness in my House, and a generally bright screen when i'm not at my House, but I want it to scale downward with the battery level.

I have X many power levels being tracked to change the brightness level, and currently 2 locations, there I have 2*X situations. What if I wanted to track Y many places, that would be X*Y situations.

I'm just looking for a clean solution to the mess you get when you try to use Locale to it's full potential.

• SturmehSturmeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basically it's sub categories for situations, so you can have separate situations for Home and Work, etc.

• cHuEncHuEn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@carter: thanks carter. Why I have this question, is when I created a situation with both "at work" and MTWRF 8:30-17:30, I found that the GPS will enabled and searching not in the time I specified.

• CarterAdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@lwclam:

Multiple conditions are ANDed together within a situation. (Certain conditions support OR internally, such as Locations/Contact/Calendar.)

To detect "At Work" AND MTW @ 8:30-17:30, add two conditions to the same situation.

To detect "at work" OR MTW @ 8:30-17:30, create two separate situations. Each situation would have one condition each. If you give each situation the same settings, then you effectively have OR behavior.

@carter: really? do you mean if I created a situation with time and location conditions, it will process if either conditions or both conditions is/are ture?

Support!
        if I have location (work) on every Mon, Tue, Wed at 8:30-17:30 only.

• qwassonqwasson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I thought that after I posted. It was a rubbish example, so my bad. The concept of basing one situation on another and inheriting settings remains valid tho. Unless you can already do that too, of course =)

• qwassonqwasson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thios would enable you do define a new situation based on others, without having to competely redefine them, eg, if you have some location-based conditions (home and work, say), and a 'Charging' condition, you could have 'Charging at Location' without having to configure the locations again.

Also, If you change the position of a location (such as change jobs) you don't have to reconfigure all of the conditions, just the base one.

Feedback and Knowledge Base