I suggest you ...

In Pocket Condition

OK, so it's not that easy to detect if one's phone is in one's pocket, but it would be an awesome condition to incorporate...

The face up / face down condition is great, but it means you have to take the phone out of your pocket to use it. I'm probably not the only one here who would agree that when the phone's in your pocket, turning off bluetooth and switching ring to vibrate would be ideal.

This could either be done using the proximity or light sensor, or more simply achieved by turning the face up / face down condition to include upright, upside down and landscape (for purses or handbags). Sure, it would be difficult to achieve exact orientation, but also offering a definable range/variance would solve this issue.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    simon.lewis1979 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@hwk: In general, many of the additional features offered by other apps fall into one of three categories: (1) They access non-public Android APIs, (2) they require root, or (3) they require a modified ROM. Such features are not guaranteed to work on any specific device and will break with each Android update.

By design, Locale only uses Android's publicly documented APIs to ensure that Locale works great across Android devices.

If you have specific questions, please let us know.

• hwk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or switch to Tasker, which I did. Only drawbacks are that its UI is not as nice and intuitive as Locale's, it doesn't know or-conditions and it doesn't have that kind of smart location detection. But on the other hand it's much more powerful out of the box without need for sorta 10.000 plugins...
        btw, 244am people: I would love to go back to locale, I love Locale's UI, I love the smart location detection, but to attract users away from Tasker to Locale, you will have to provide MUCH more conditions and settings ootb, without sourcing nearly everything out to 3rd party plugins.
        If you do an simple chart, on the one side everything Tasker provides ootb and on the other side the costs of the necessary plugins for locale in order to provide the same conditions and actions, the result is really not good looking for Locale... sad, but true. Make Locale as powerful as Tasker ootb and I bet you will (re)gain a lot of users!

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On 2.3.4, there is a Display setting called In-Pocket detection. "Locks your device automatically when inserted in pocket." Sounds like what you are looking for?

• hwk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep my phone in a horizontal belt pouch, was looking for a way how locale could detect if the phone is in there, like orientation = horizontal left, light sensor = dark.
        So I think the best way would be to add seperate conditions for proximity sensor, light sensor and extended orientations (portrait, landscape left, landscape right).
        And, if you want it to be perfect, a free angle (+ x% tolerance), like in screebl, for example to detect if the phone sits in a car or bike mount or is held in one's hand.

Feedback and Knowledge Base