I suggest you ...

return to previous setting instead of default

How about an option to save current state before running locae event, then returning to whatever that previous state was?

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ohgary shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) responded  · 

This was considered very early in the design of Locale, although was rejected because of the unnecessary complexity it entails.

A setting in Locale is a simple action that can be anything. Like sending an SMS message, posting a Tweet, or changing the ringer volume. Reverting to previous settings is not always possible. Consider the SMS setting: how do you unsend an SMS message?

If only certain settings “revert,” that makes it impossible for users to develop a mental model of a setting, because all settings no longer follow a single, consistent model. With Defaults, Locale always behaves in a predictable fashion.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@dalewarner:

This cannot be done, because many settings don't have a well-defined default value. What is the default value of the SMS setting? The Twitter setting? The Shortcut setting?

A setting isn't a reconfiguration. It's an action. Think about it that way and everything makes sense :)

• dalewarner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be nice to be able to set the defaults in Locale to sync themselves with my current phone settings with the push of a button (i.e. while I'm configuring my defaults there should be the option "use current ringtone, wallpaper, etc.).

• mabend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A simple toggle on the edit situation screen to switch between reverting to previous settings and defaults would be great.

When leaving a situation, if the user selected previous settings, revert anything that was set by Locale. Compare the current setting to the location's setting, if the user changed it while in a location, don't revert it.

I understand what you mean about setting yourself up to forget to turn your ringer back on, but you should give your users more credit and at least provide the option. I would use it.

• gpsrider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree that returning to previous settings is too complex for the user to manage; this is how the profile manager on my Treo 650 works and it provides tremendous power. As Gary said, it allows nesting. From my experience with Locale, always resetting to a default rather than how I had the phone set when the condition became true is the single biggest failing of the program. It is very limiting. I strongly encourage you to revisit this issue and consider if you want to the utility to be all it can be, or limited due to a perceived usability concern.

• AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ohgary
        There are issues of consistency, as you've pointed out, between reverting settings like SMS versus Ringer.

In addition, this makes the app way too complex. People can't remember to turn off (or turn back on) their ringers, so they rely on Locale to do that for them. With situations and defaults, Locale always has predictable results. For example: silent at work and loud everywhere else. If I manually set my phone to silent while at the library, then I go to work, the ringer will still turn to loud when I leave work.

The alternative--reverting to previous instead of defaults--makes this simple scenario complex. If I manually set my ringer to silent while at the library, my ringer will still be silent when I leave work. I've just set myself up to forget to turn my ringer back on.

• ohgary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SMS isnt a setting its an action. YOu can have a display, network, notificaiton, ringtone and volume setting to return to. return to previous allows some nesting.

This was considered very early in the design of Locale, although was rejected because of the unnecessary complexity it entails.

A setting in Locale is a simple action that can be anything. Like sending an SMS message, posting a Tweet, or changing the ringer volume.

Reverting to previous settings is not always possible. Consider the SMS setting: how do you unsend an SMS message?

If only certain settings "revert," that makes it impossible for users to develop a mental model of a setting, because all settings no longer follow a single, consistent model. With Defaults, Locale always behaves in a predictable fashion.

Feedback and Knowledge Base