I suggest you ...

Provide a condition that detects when you are moving or driving

As of October 1, 2011 you have dramatically improved Locale with Instant Location. "Locale 2.0’s artificial intelligence analyzes current and historical location data to detect when you’re moving and predict where you’re going." It seems like the app already knows when the phone is moving, so adding a condition for such might be easy to add than it was before. With a "moving" or "driving" condition you could trigger a situation that applies settings for while in the car (like perhaps turning off the ringer so as not to be tempted to talk-n-drive, unless you have hands-free). In my case I would use it for cycling, turning off basically everything (bluetooth, wifi, etc) so that I save battery life while using my phone's GPS to track my long bicycle rides.

Perhaps the condition could have some sort of speed threshold associated with it. For example, if > 25 mph you could trigger a driving situation/settings, but if > 5 mph you could trigger a bicycling situation/settings.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jjayxxxx shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) responded  · 

I agree this would be very cool. Unfortunately, modern phone hardware isn’t there yet.

Locale 2.0 detects motion in the context of predicting location arrival with historical data. Having historical location data and a target location introduce additional constraints to the problem, making it easier to solve efficiently.

To just detect motion (without the additional constraints of location) would still have a 10 minute delay. Based on our research, motion detection would need to be instant in order to really make users happy.

We’re always evaluating new ways to solve this problem, but its just not currently possible.

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...