I suggest you ...

Kill app setting

If the phone has something unknown running in the background hogging battery this could prevent having a completely dead phone much earlier than expected.
It probably shouldn't shut down if the screen is on or the user is in the middle of call, etc...

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steven Malmgren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) responded  · 

Android treats memory differently than a desktop computer. When leaving an app, it is paused rather than killed, so that so that returning to it later is faster. If Android needs more memory, it will automatically close apps that have been paused but have not been used recently. Because Android manages memory automatically, “task killer” apps are not necessary. Google has blocked “task killer” apps for Android 2.2 and later.

While it is not possible to “kill” apps on Android, the Shortcut plug-in can be used to simulate this behavior by bringing the Android Home screen to the foreground. To do this, simply create a new Shortcut setting, choose Menu → Filter → All. Pick the “Launcher” app. When the setting is fired, it will bring the Home screen to the foreground, pausing whatever application was previously on the screen.

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rafael Borja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use a shortcut launcher to launch a gps guide program when I connect to a car dock. I'd like to close it when the phone is disconnected from the dock. Won't a close app feature be useful? If I just launch the home screen the gps will keep guiding me anyway.

• AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@graham: The Sensation must have a Launcher app. It might be called something else because HTC can give it any arbitrary name, but it is definitely there. Look for things that might say Launcher, Home, or maybe even something like HTC Sense.

• graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HTC Sensation phone doesnt appear to have “Launcher”. followed prevailing steps, but found no “Launcher”????

• AdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@forge42: There's no way to accomplish killing apps on Android.

The only way to achieve the underlying goal to control the behavior of individual apps would be for those apps to implement a Locale plug-in, allowing them to be controlled. For security reasons, the developer of those apps would have to implement the plug-ins.

For example, the K9 email client on Android also has a Locale plug-in, allowing users to control their email notifications using Locale.

• Forge42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Carter:

Thanks for the quick response. I'm aware of how android handles memory and I'm not interested in this functionality from a memory management standpoint. Let me describe my usage case for you and perhaps you can see the value and/or suggest an alternative:

I have several applications that I want to stop running based on my locale conditions. The easiest to explain is my corporate email/calendar sync service. When I'm in my office, I get email and calendar notifications via my desktop, so, I'd like for the program to automatically stop running on my phone. I don't need it buzzing at me from my pocket when I'm sitting at my desk getting the same information from my desktop PC.

Make sense? Any way to create this functionality inside the current locale ecosystem?

• Forge42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 3rd party plug-in hasn't been updated in over a year. You might want to consider re-opening this as it is a very handy feature.

• Surge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is this app? I have been checking the market for it and still cannot find it? You say it is available in the android Market, and I cannot find it in either the 1.5 NOR 2.1 market?

@surge: No, settings are applied only once when entering a situation. The only time they would be re-applied is if the Locale process is terminated and re-launched. (Or if you save changes to a situation, at which point Locale must re-evaluate everything).

No. Every time it refreshes/checks the status it will launch the app that I have set to the default launcher. Every time. I had to stop using the Launcher app weeks ago because IT DOES continue to launch the default situation app when I am in my "home" (or any other) situation. This continuous launching of the app will cause battery problems if the killer must also continue to kill it each time.

Also, does anyone know if the auto-kill plugin is for 1.6+ only? I cannot find it in the market, even when using a barcode scanner.

@surge: Settings are only applied once, when entering a situation. The notion that a setting is applied continuously completely false. Defaults will not be applied continuously.

The Shortcut Plug-in will not be extended to kill apps. That creates unnecessary complexity to a simple and useful plug-in. To accomplish what you want, you need to vote here: http://feedback.twofortyfouram.com/forums/5655-locale-feedback/suggestions/248687-add-new-condition-type-of-leaving-situation?ref=title

Carter, I hope you understand that app does not fully solve the problem!
        First, your launcher app is flawed when it is applied to the default situation. The default situation will launch apps no matter what other situation is taking precedence. So that auto-kill plugin, which is provided by another manufacturer, would work to continuously close the apps that your faulty launcher works to continuously launch! You need to either fix the launcher app, or upgrade it to include an on/off setting for launching apps. This problem has not been "completed" Please fix!

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could finally solve the LED light issue, as I could set email to turn off at night, and then relaunch in the morning,

• janiskfp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would just like an app or service I have running to stop when a Situation is over. It makes sense, like Waze or BTCall shut off when your Car Situation is off, without killing all the other apps or services, or Kill Always Prompt service once you leave home.

Same difference, but I agree, this would be a killer plug-in, so to speak.

• CEnnis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@joeyweaver - for a temporary fix you can create a script using ase to kill the process, considering ase has a locale plugin. That's if you know how to create scripts of course. Either way I still agree and support the idea for this plugin.

• joeyweaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would give this all 10 of my votes if I could! I want to be able to do stuff like open Pandora when I plug headphones in and close Pandora when I unplug the headphones.

Has anything happened with this? I cannot believe we do not have a kill-app setting yet! I agree that, not only would it compliment the program launcher plugin, but it should be included in that same program. Being able to kill a specific app when entering (or exiting as another suggestion is pressing) a situation could be just as useful as launching one.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ATK kills too many apps... I want the ability to kill a particular app - as an example, I can use the shortcut and dock add-ins to launch trapster when driving and turn it off as a default setting when not.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base