I suggest you ...

Get rid of the continuous notification in Locale 1.0

On the whole I'm liking 1.0, and I'm happy to pay for it as it's an excellent app.

However.

The continuous notification is REALLY annoying. The entire raison d'etre for Locale is that it runs silently and invisible in background without the user being aware of the clever stuff it's doing.

There is absolutely no technical reason to have the notification constantly displayed (as the beta proved), and it's cluttering up my screen/notification bar. You have to get rid of it, or provide the option for the notification to be disabled. This in itself is potentially enough for me to uninstall/refund - it's that big an issue.

Sort it please, guys. If you really think there's a technical/development reason why it should be there, update this thread and I'll put you in direct contact with a contact of mine who is on the Android developer team, and he'll help you understand why it is totally not necessary.

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    webreaperwebreaper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  CarterAdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) responded  · 

In general, Locale is required to display an ongoing notification in order to run reliably. Background apps displaying a notification are given higher priority, such that they are killed last when Android runs low on memory. A notification has no impact on performance, only on reliability. If Locale is killed, it will no longer work. In fact, Android 2.3 is very aggressive about killing background apps running for more than a few minutes without displaying a notification. In order to ensure that Locale runs reliably, it must display an ongoing notification. Locale simply cannot offer an option that makes the app unreliable.

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SimonSimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to follow your instructions, but I can't find a way to hide the notification. Can you please clarify...

• HolgerHolger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Carter, you said there is a feature in Android 3.0 to hide notification icons. But when i tap on the notification area, there is no settings icon!?!

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you make the icon invisible? It will still be active, but at least hidden.

• CarterAdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@james: We have experimented with this in the past. Checking all conditions every 5 minutes causes severe performance and battery drain issues. In addition, conditions like the Contact and Battery condition would stop working and all plug-ins (both conditions and settings) would have to be disabled.

Such a tradeoff just to hide an icon doesn't make sense at this time.

• James BlackwellJames Blackwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure how to get around the technical issues of not having a notification, but I can contribute additional motivation to figuring something out...

The notification area on my phone is very valuable real estate. The locale notification sits there, taking up space, without any -apparent- use or benefit. The notification cuts back on the space for notifications that I care about.

Is there another way to run without the notification as some sort of daemon? Surely there's a way to schedule locale to start and then run for every 5 minutes?

• VassilisVassilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So this is a declined request.... I am bumping it.. cause i paid this app for something that on 0.* wasn't there.

I request again to Get Rid of this Icon. I would like to use it again, rather than using other app... but! i am going to Buy another app which does it's job better than this.

• food isgoodfood isgood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of many reasons why the beta was better and one of many reasons why I am glad I was able to find the apk out there in the wild bootlegged.

"According to the Android team, an ongoing notification requires an associated status bar icon."

Well then kill ongoing notifications, just like op said. Can't you devs see that it is because of reasons like this that people are turning to Timerrific or Tasker or just ripping off your program? The new version is simply the latest but not the greatest. These people are not just users anymore, they are customers. So listen to them.

Oh, and lower the price while you're at it. $1-3? I'd ditch the bootlegged version no problem. $10? Riiiiiight.

• webreaperwebreaper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's clear that you're trying to make Locale a foreground app which is the wrong approach. You should read this article:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/02/service-api-changes-starting-with.html

Locale should be a service, not a background app, and then you wouldn't have to hack this at all.

It's interesting how the "Settings Profile" app in the Market manages to implement exactly the same functionality as locale does for 1.6 and 2.0.1 without any problem, and without any notification.

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As much as I appreciate you guys working on this request for us, is there any way to make it such that the local notification icon is always the last notification? I use an app that places the percentage of battery life left in the status bar as a notification icon, and with the new change, it seems that locale's notification icon is just a completely transparent icon that still takes up space, so the battery notification is always one icon to the right of where it ought to be. This goes for other things like the USB connection notification, etc.

• amyomilleramyomiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least give users the option of turning it off or leaving it on. It gives more functionality, even though you report it makes Android less likely to kill the app. Please -- just give users the option to decide for themselves.

• ronnyronny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think a setting, where an experienced user can set the persistent notification on or off and the normal notification setting known from the beta version would be the best.
        I have had never problems with android is killing locale, and i know what i do ..

so please make this possible...

• JohnnyJohnny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other apps have been able to be running in the "ongoing" section of the pull down menu without needing to have an icon taking up space in the notification bar. This solution would work for me. Just ditch that Icon or give us the option to turn it off.

• webreaperwebreaper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After speaking to a number of people at Google at the Android developer labs, it's clear that this whole constant notification thing is completely bogus and unnecessary. I've asked for somebody at Google to post a blog article which will explain why it's unnecessary and hopefully when that's done (probably after the Dev Labs complete) Carter will have the information to restructure the app so that this hack can be removed.

In the meantime I agree with NetGenSuperstar, and have found that with FoxyRing, Power manager and Y5 I can manage all the functionality that Locale provided me previously, and now the beta has been killed I'll not be using Locale any more.

It's a real shame to see what was once one of the showcase ADC projects for Android go the way of an over-priced and under-functional app. I hope things turnaround in future, but in the meantime I'll get by with Y5, FoxyRing and Power Manager.

• NetGenSuperstarNetGenSuperstar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This, combined with the lack of calendar events, the high price tag, and the fact that my beta version expired, makes me not want to use Locale at all any more. I know for a fact that applications can run in the background without a notification icon, because I'm currently running Seesmic, Google Voice, Facebook and Google Talk. None of them need this notification.

If the problem is caused by Locale being a foreground application, then the solution is simple; make it a background application like it always should have been.

• julianjulian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just change the icon to a one-pixel dot. That would do the job for me.

• kari_mariekari_marie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like having to have a continuous icon in the notification bar, but I'll live with it if it means I get to use Locale. But can we please have the option to change the color to something a bit less visually loud, like gray/black? Please?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base