Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    joeyweaverjoeyweaver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  CarterAdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) responded  · 

After discussing this with Google at Google IO, it appears this will not be possible for the foreseeable future due to the security restrictions in Android. By design, Android won’t allow apps like Locale to change the Live Wallpaper. Apps can launch the wallpaper picker, but they cannot set the wallpaper outside of the picker, which is what Locale needs.

If Google changes this in a future Android update, I’ll re-open this request. But for the time being there’s no reason to keep this open since it is currently impossible.

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • woelfiwoelfi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

any news on this? I'd really love to see this feature. Hope it will be possible sometime soon.
        Someone send a monthly reminder to google please =D

cheers

• Marek SukMarek Suk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Just got an idea : Would it be possible to change Scene using locale? If yes, then you just need to make 2 same scenes with different wallpaper settings and change them using Locale. A bit more work to keep the scenes in sync if you change widget or icon, but i could live with that.

cheers

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to be able to switch to live wall papers via locale on my 2.1 droid.

• actorandrewactorandrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the 2.1 update for the Motorola Droid rolling out over this week, I think it would be a good idea for you guys to consider a Live Wallpapers setting that is separate from the Wallpapers setting. This would not only satisfy our request, but it would also fix the limitations you encountered. Thank you for your consideration.

• EarlyMorningHoursEarlyMorningHours commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At first I didn't see much utility in this idea, but now that we have Google Maps (with traffic conditions as the useful feature) available as a Live Wallpaper, this would indeed be a most excellent addition. I have Locale set so that whenever I lose the connection to my SSID at work, it goes into a "Travel Mode" situation enabling the GPS and Bluetooth radios. Having the Google Maps Live Wallpaper automatically spring to life would be great.

• daevans315daevans315 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As more and more android devices support live wallpapers this is going to become more of an issue.

Feedback and Knowledge Base