I suggest you ...

Backup settings.

Add a function to back everything up via either SD card or the web.

195 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RAG1RAG1 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Craig BennettCraig Bennett shared a merged idea: can you add a backup. i just switch phones and now i have to set up the phone again. backup needed  ·   · 
    rayneraperaynerape shared a merged idea: Import and Export Locale Rules (incl. Third Party Intents)  ·   · 
    completed  ·  CarterAdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) responded  · 

AUTOMATIC BACKUP/RESTORE
    Locale has automatic backup and restore using the cloud-based backup mechanism in Android 2.2 or later. There are no configuration options within Locale—it just works!

To use this feature, simply make sure that backup/restore is enabled by going to the Android Settings and verifying that Backup and Restore is enabled. (This option might be in a different place on different devices. With Android 2.2, it can be found under Android settings → Privacy. With Android 4.0, it can be found under Android settings → Backup & reset). Whenever Locale is uninstalled and reinstalled, the device is factory reset, or you upgrade to a new device, your Locale situations will be automatically restored. If there are no options for backup and restore under the Android Settings, then the device does not support automatic backup and restore.

Since backups are tried to a Google account, be sure to always use the same Google account when setting up your Android devices.

If you’ve ever previously installed a pirated copy of Locale, automatic backup and restore will not work correctly.

MANUAL BACKUP/RESTORE USING ADB
    For Android 4.0 and later, the Android developer tools can perform a backup to a desktop computer:

1. Install the Android developer tools http://developer.android.com/sdk/tools-notes.html
    2. Enable USB debugging on your device
    3. Create a backup called locale.apk in your computer terminal’s current working directory: adb backup -f locale.bak com.twofortyfouram.locale
    4. Restore a backup from your computer terminal’s current working directory: adb restore locale.bak

MANUAL BACKUP/RESTORE TO EXTERNAL STORAGE
    Locale contains a beta manual backup/restore feature to create a manual backup to external storage. (“External storage” does not necessarily mean the SD card. The definition of external storage varies from device to device.) Because Locale already has cloud-based backup and restore, most users should have no reason to worry about manual backup and restore.

Locale’s manual backup and restore is primarily meant for support and diagnostic purposes and is disabled by default. To enable manual backups, please follow the instructions below.

1. Allow installing apps outside of the Android Market
    a. From the Home screen, go to the “Settings” app
    b. For Android 1.5 through Android 3.2: Choose “Applications” and make sure that “Unknown sources” is checked. For Android 4.0: Choose “Security” and make sure that “Unknown sources” is checked

2. Install Backup Enabler
    a. Open the web browser on your phone
    b. Go to this address: www.twofortyfouram.com/backup.apk
    c. Once the download completes, tap on the download
    d. Follow the instructions to install

After manual backups are enabled, a new Backup menu item will appear under the menu of the Locale situation list screen. From that menu item, you can create a backup to external storage. When Locale is re-installed, it will automatically detect any existing backups and ask whether you’d like to restore them. Manual backups are an unsupported beta feature.

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CarterAdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@mela: We've found that some devices have a permissions bug that prevents Locale from writing manual backups to external storage. The menu item won't appear if Locale is not able to write the backup. Based on our testing, this primarily seems to occur on European devices. We've built new backup and restore functionality for an upcoming version of Locale to work around this particular Android bug.

• Mela EckenfelsMela Eckenfels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the quick answer, Carter. But I've installed the backup enabler on both devices and on both devices I can't see the new backup menu item. It just isn't there. Shouldn't it be at least on the ICS-device?

• Mela EckenfelsMela Eckenfels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Automatic backup is activated on both devices, but the locale configuration didn't sync. Can't get the manual backup to work either. Any suggestions? Old device: Milestone, rooted, with Cyanogenmod 7 New device: Samsung Galaxy Note, not rooted, with standard ICS.

• ClareClare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had backup and restore working - but the Locale settings were not restored when I reset - annoying!

• CarterAdminCarter (Admin, two forty four a.m.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@PraetorianGuard: Locale saves backups to "external memory" however that is defined by the device. The Galaxy S II may define "external memory" differently from other devices, but Locale is working as intended.

• PraetorianGuardPraetorianGuard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Manual backups are NOT saved on External Memory on the SGS2. I just made a backup and it got saved to the InternalSD

• series3cseries3c commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why the backup is not saved on the external SD card? After a firmware update are you loose all data.

• mhollandmholland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the restore feature supposed to be available in 1.3 (after installing the backup enabler ) ?

I can backup, but I don't see the ability to restore .

• andocromnandocromn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on the motorola backflip, and there is option for Unknown sources in applications. how can i install? is this in the market yet?

• Ryan BRyan B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thank you for the beta feature! i'm very glad to see this happening.

my only additional request would be scheduled/automatic backups. i'm not particular whether that comes built in or via integration with something like mybackup pro, i just know that automated backups are way, way more effective and valuable than manual.

• farble1670farble1670 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

re: the data format being incompatible.

that fact that the format for beta and 1.0 data isn't 100% compatible doesn't stop you from writing import / export code. that's what import / export means. bridging one data format to another.

you obviously have the code to read beta settings and the code to write 1.0 settings. you should have added export to beta that wrote the data into an intermediary format. and had import in 1.0 that read the intermediary format and wrote it into the 1.0 format.

this is the sort of thing i expect in a paid, $10 app. as for adding back up and restore, i'd vote against it. if my phone crashes and i lose my locale data, that's the very, very least of my concerns.

the time for this feature was 1.0, it's of little use now.

• UmbertoUmberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I already did the migration. It's ok for me if this is the last time. From now on I want backup-restore features!

• gordon byersgordon byers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to upgrade the firmware on my HTC Hero... Lost all of my locale situations.
        When the Android 2.0 update is realeased for Hero i'll have the same problem again....
        Export/Import of settings is a must!

• Steven RothkinSteven Rothkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least give the ability to copy the data files to the sdcard and then reimport them (within the same version of locale). This will be very helpful if I have to factory reset my phone (as Motorola is suggesting).

• Steven RothkinSteven Rothkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I encourage you to provide backup support for your application by integrating with an application called MyBackup Pro, developed by RerWare, LLC. They have instructions on how you can integrate with their application for backup and restore functionality at the following link: http://www.rerware.com/MyBackup/integration.html
        You can also contact their support team by email with any questions at the following email address: Support@RerWare.com

Thank you for a wonderful application, and I look forward to having the ability to backup and restore your application's data using MyBackup Pro.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base